Environmental Scientist - 454529
Company Conformance Statement
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
• Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
• Interact professionally with other employees, customers, and suppliers.
• Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
Employees are required to:
• Comply with all applicable safety- and health-related rules, regulations, and procedures;
• Work safely themselves and help their teammates work safely;
• Assist supervisors and managers in identifying and mitigating potentially hazardous conditions; and
• Help the organization maintain a safe and healthy workplace.
Purpose of the Position
• Coordination and Management of Hazardous Waste Program; Support to Solid Waste Program and Spill Response
Principal Duties/Responsibilities of the Position
• Ensure that company maintains compliance with all applicable hazardous and universal waste regulations and company permits and procedures.
• Provide technical assistance and guidance to hazardous and universal waste generators and satellite accumulation area managers
• Collect wastes from on-site generators and transporting to the hazardous waste accumulation point
• Hazardous waste characterization, waste tracking, and coordination of hazardous waste shipments (preparation and loading oversight)
• Develop procedures for the management of hazardous and universal waste
• Perform and document various hazardous waste inspections
• Provide guidance for spill response, reporting, and waste disposal
• Document all chemical and fuel spills
• Conduct training for waste generators
• Prepare regulatory and contractual reports
• Universal Waste Management oversight
• Pharmaceutical Waste Management oversight
• Environmental Compliance data compilation and reporting
• Support Solid Waste Program
• Conduct audits of off-site disposal facilities
• Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree in environmental science, engineering, or related scientific field
• 2-5 years environmental compliance experience
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Knowledge of the federal, state (Mississippi), and local environmental regulations
• 40-Hour HAZWOPER current certification a plus
• Must complete on-the-job training that teaches the individual to perform their duties in a way that ensures compliance with applicable regulations and Stennis Space Center requirements.
• Lift minimum of 50 pounds load
• Bend and stoop periodically per day
• Push and pull periodically throughout the day
• Walk up/down stairs frequently
• Climb ladders and scaffolding
• Wear PPE gear periodically (steel toe shoes, safety glasses, hard hat, gloves)
• Tolerate extreme cold/heat periodically
• Dexterity to operate office equipment as required by theposition.
• Must meet and be able to maintain all certificationrequirements required for work area.
Special Knowledge andSkills
• Good organizational and communication skills
• Ability to pay close attention to detail and take direction
• Ability to work independently but follow specific detailedinstructions
• Ability to interface with various levels of personnel in amulti-cultural, team- oriented environment
• DOT HAZMAT Shipping
• Must be a U.S. Citizen in order to obtain required NASA badge.
• Must be able to provide a certified Birth Certificate (withstate seal), Passport, or INS Citizenship documents on date of hire (candidatewill be sent home if this paperwork is not provided upon arrival on date ofhire).
• Must have the ability to communicate the English language,both verbally and written, in an effective manner.
• Must have, and maintain, a valid driver’s license.