Sr. Environmental Engineer / Scientist - 491727
Michoud Assembly Facility, LA
Company Conformance Statement
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers, and suppliers
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
Employees are required to:
- Comply with all applicable safety and health related rules, regulations, and procedures
- Work safely themselves and help their teammates work safely;
- Assist supervisors and managers in identifying and mitigating potentially hazardous conditions and
- Help the organization maintain a safe and healthy workplace
Purpose of the Position
- Ensure compliance with water and wastewater regulations
Principal Duties/Responsibilities of the Position
- Establish and manage assigned programs, primarily waste management, to comply with local, state, federal and NASA environmental laws and regulations and policies.
- Lead 3-5 Hazardous Waste Technicians in waste consolidation, minor spill clean-up activities, waste consolidation and shipment preparations.
- Coordinate operations at the permitted hazardous waste storage building including hazardous and universal waste management.
- Provide support to NASA Programs relative to hazardous waste management.
- Assist with spill response and clean-up operations and document all spill response operations
- Manage and coordinate solid waste disposal.
- Integrate pollution prevention and waste minimization to enhance recycling.
- Manage and review the waste reduction programs and identify opportunities to improve awareness as well as implement new opportunities for recycling.
- Support sampling requirements associated with waste profiling.
- Compile data to support NASA reporting requirements.
- Prepare and submit Bi-Annual Hazardous Waste Support.
- Support regulatory and NASA audits and implementation of corrective action.
- Support design reviews and construction operations
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- Bachelors' degree in Environmental Science, Engineering, or related scientific field
- 4-8 years environmental compliance experience
- Knowledge of the federal, state (Louisiana), and local environmental regulations
- 40-Hour HAZWOPER current certification a plus
- RCRA Training a plus
- DOT HAZMAT Certification a plus
Special Knowledge and Skills Required
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to read and comprehend Federal and State Environmental regulations
- Must complete on-the-job training that teaches the individual to perform their duties in a way that ensures compliance with applicable regulations and Michoud Assembly Facility environmental permits and requirements
- Lift minimum of 50 pound load
- Walk periodically throughout the day
- Bend and stoop periodically
- Push and pull periodically
- Walk up/down stairs frequently
- Stand a few hours per day
- Climb ladders and scaffolding
- Wear PPE gear periodically (steel toe shoes, safety glasses, hard hat, gloves)
- Tolerate extreme cold/heat periodically
- Good organizational and planning skills
- Good Communication skills
- Ability to pay close attention to detail
- Ability to take direction
- Ability to work with computers
- Ability to work independently but follow specific detailed instructions
- Ability to interface with various levels of personnel in a multi-cultural, team- oriented environment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen in order to obtain required NASA badge.
- Must be able to provide a certified Birth Certificate (with state seal), Passport, or INS Citizenship documents on date of hire (candidate will be sent home if this paperwork is not provided upon arrival on date of hire).
- Must have the ability to communicate the English language, both verbally and written, in an effective manner.
- Must have, and maintain, a valid driver’s license.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT, THE COMPANY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REVISE, CHANGE OR AMEND JOB DESCRIPTIONS FROM TIME-TO-TIME TO CORRESPOND TO DUTIES AND QUALIFICATIONS OF THE POSITION.