Welding Engineer 504050
Syncom Space Services, Inc. (S3) is seeking a Welding Engineer to join our Engineering Services Department team supporting NASA John C. Stennis Space Center Rocket Engine Test Facility, MS and NASA Michoud Assembly Facility, LA. The ideal candidate is responsible for oversight of all welding related activities in aerospace facility, component and manufacturing systems. This candidate is also responsible for maintaining welding process and engineering related requirements.
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers, and suppliers.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
Employees are required to:
- Comply with all applicable safety- and health-related rules, regulations, and procedures;
- Work safely themselves and help their teammates work safely;
- Assist supervisors and managers in identifying and mitigating potentially hazardous conditions; and
- Help the organization maintain a safe and healthy workplace.
Principal Duties/Responsibilities of the Position
- Responsible for all “technical” aspects of welding
- Design and develop new welding procedures or related process procedures that meet contract/customer requirements in a timely manner to support production schedules
- Evaluate current welding procedures and make recommendations for improvements
- Remain current in state-of-the art welding advancements/developments and incorporate techniques where appropriate
- Ensure strict adherence to all contract/NASA procedural welding requirements
- Provide technical expertise and consulting with respect to welding and metallurgy to all Engineered products
- Work directly with field and production welders on processes and solutions to complex challenges
- Prepare and review design engineering documents, process plans, and specification
- Select proper weld joint designs for new Engineered components
- Ensures weld procedures meet Code and NASA standards and customer expectations
- Maintains thorough understanding of ASME Code and NASA Standard/Technical Publication requirements
- Reviews Code and NASA Publication revisions and incorporates changes to weld procedures, work instructions and qualification requirements as necessary to satisfy compliance
- Maintains knowledge of metallurgy of specialty materials, such as duplex stainless steels, Inconels, copper-nickels, high strength steels and titanium
- Assigns weld procedures and reviews detailed “rework” instructions when weld repairs are required
- Recommends changes to improve quality, reduce rework rate, and improve productivity
- Ensures all welding meets Safety requirements (OSHA)
- Confers with company directors, managers, supervisors to coordinate welding activities
- Prepare technical reports
- Represents company when interfacing with the customer or vendors
- Assist in providing welding expertise for proposals and estimates when required
- Provides weld procedure and qualification cost and schedule estimates to support proposals and contract modifications
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Welding or Materials Engineering from an ABET accredited university and a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience.
- Experience working with design engineering principles and practices. Knowledge of and application of current industry standards, such as, but not limited to: ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code Section VIII, ASME B31.3 Process Piping, ASHRAE 90.1, International Building Code, etc.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen in order to obtain required NASA badge.
- Must be able to provide a certified Birth Certificate (with state seal), Passport, or INS Citizenship documents on date of hire (candidate will be sent home if this paperwork is not provided upon arrival on date of hire).
- Must have the ability to communicate the English language, both verbally and written, in an effective manner.
- Must have, and maintain, a valid driver’s license.
Special Knowledge and Skills Required
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is required.
- Experience with AutoCAD and Solidworks is preferred.
- Prior knowledge of a NASA site or experience with working on government installations is preferred.
- Must possess exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must be able to effectively thrive in a team environment to produce quality multi-discipline design packages.
- Must be well organized, extremely flexible and capable of juggling multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Develop solutions to complex problems that require a high degree of innovation and ingenuity.
- Utilizes resourcefulness in researching various documents and databases, as well as gathering various types of information or other resources.
- Dexterity to operate office equipment, and ability to access field locations as required by the position.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. PAE’s hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.